Application of Young Investigator Grants within the “SFB/TRR 225 Erlangen funding program for young scientists”.
The FAU supports PhD students of the SFB-TRR225 with approximately 45,000 Euro annually in the form of Young Investigator awards and grants. Every Erlangen-based PhD student supported by the SFB TRR225 can apply for funding in 5 different categories:
1) Training grants (~20% of the total funds)
We fund both, the organization of seminars or workshops in which all Erlangen SFB/TRR 225 PhD students can participate, and we fund the participation of individual Erlangen SFB/TRR 225 PhD student in training courses and workshops offered by the FAU or the IZKF. Examples of training courses are methods-oriented courses to learn new techniques, courses on how to write project proposal or scientific publications, workshops on coaching, qualification, training, networking, sponsorship ect. A list of available courses offered by the FAU and the IZKF can be found under the following links:
If you are interested in participating in soft-skill courses offered by the Interdisziplinäres Zentrum für Klinische Forschung Erlangen (IZKF) https://www.izkf.med.fau.de/nachwuchs/izkf-doktorandenakademie/veranstaltungen/weiterbildungen/, the course fees will be automatically covered by the Erlangen Young Investigator Grant. You do not need to apply for an award or a refund, you simply forward the IZKF invoice to Anette Goebel or Chiara Unger. Until further notice (depending on our own funding situation), you can attend up to two courses per semester. If you are accepted for a course, please inform the Erlangen Young Investigator Grant selection committee via firstname.lastname@example.org about the costs so that we can keep track. When you register for an IZKF course, you need a signature from your supervisor confirming that all expenses will be covered. Please notify your supervisor that the expenses will be covered by the Erlangen Young Investigator Grant.
2) Travel Award (~30% of the total funds)
Travel awards can be used for national or international scientific conferences, workshops, meetings, or to fund short visits to other laboratories to conduct scientific experiments or to establish a collaboration
3) International Research Fellowship for longer visits, research stays and mini-sabbaticals (< 3 months) in other laboratories. (~25% of the total funds)
International Research Fellowships can either be awarded as a top-up of existing SFB-TRR225 funds for a research visit to an international laboratory, or as an independent fellowship. The amount of top-up funds is capped at 2.000 € per application, independent fellowships are capped at 3.000 €. Applicants for independent fellowships must demonstrate proof of an unsuccessful prior application for an SFB-TTR225-funded fellowship.
4) Team Development Grant (~5% of the total funds)
We fund team-building events to promote exchange/collaborations/motivations.
5) Mini Project Grant (~20% of the total funds)
We fund small equipment and tools for research projects, to optimize laboratory operations, machine shop orders (to improve, modify equipment, etc.).
– Prof. Dr. Müller-Deile Janina.Mueller-Deile@uk-erlangen.de
– Prof. Dr. Ben Fabry email@example.com
– 2 elected members from the group of Erlangen SFB TRR225 PhD students:
Jessica Faber firstname.lastname@example.org
Margitta Büchner email@example.com
- Please download and fill out the application forms. Collect all necessary documents (e.g. CV, letters of support), convert all documents to PDF format, and send your application as a single PDF file to Prof. Müller-Deile and Prof. Fabry using the email address firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The selection committee will review, evaluate and rank your application within 4 weeks.
- In case your grant will be funded, please sign and return the (link to) acceptance form to email@example.com
- Ms. Goebel firstname.lastname@example.org for the FAU or Ms. Unger email@example.com for the UKER will then arrange for payments and reimbursements. Down payments are possible e.g. to pay for plane tickets or conference registration fees. Please find details on how to get reimbursed in the acceptance form.
- Within 4 weeks after the end of the funding period (e.g. the end of a course, lab visit, purchase of equipment, team-building event), please submit a report (max 2 pages) to firstname.lastname@example.org.